Saturday, March 26, 2011

I do not heart Joël Robuchon (HK)

L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon
Shop 315 & 401, The Landmark,
Central, Hong Kong
(852) 2166 9000

Rating: 2.5/5

L'amuse bouche - Robuchon's version of "amuse bouche"
Valentine's Day was a spontaneous one. Unlike many couples, we didn't have our whole day planned, nor did we make reservations 12847 days prior to this Hallmark holiday. Instead, while walking aimlessly around Hong Kong's central, we walked randomly into Joel Robuchon for lunch. Located in The Landmark, the restaurant is composed of two main colors: red and black, which set a tone of boldness and character. We sat at the regular dining area, which I thought was more private and comfortable. However, you can also opt to sit at the bar area which is noticeably more casual and chill.

Duck Foie Gras Terrine
Their lunch menu was extensive, with different combination starters and entrees to choose from. We went with the set that included soup, appetizer, entree, and desserts for $640HKD. Like any other French restaurants, the waiters came in with a basket filled with a variety of complimentary bread. I particularly liked the bread with bacon bits. Prior to our appetizer,  they served a palate cleanser which consisted of three layers: foie gras mousse, pumpkin and corn puree. To eat this dish, you would dip the crispy crouton, straight into the three layers of flavors; and the rest could be scooped up with a spoon. The taste of it was very light but flavorful - there was also a really nice  pumpkin aftertaste that I liked. For our appetizer, I got the scallops (served cold) while my boyfriend got the Duck foie gras terrine with figs marmalades and spices. My scallops were light, but a little below my expectations. I couldn't really taste anything - I thought the dish needed a pinch of flavor. The duck foie gras terrine was standard and best paired with bread to avoid the heavy and fatty taste of foie gras (although the figs also served as a good complement).

Row of scallops
We had two choices for soup: foie gras ravioli in warm chicken broth or broccoli soup. We both decided on trying the broccoli soup, but while my boyfriend liked the soup, I didn't enjoy it at all. I always had the impression that a vegetable soup will prepare your stomach for a heavy meal (which we were about to have), but unfortunately, the broccoli soup at robuchon failed to do so. For starters, the soup wasn't hot enough for me. I did not expect to drink lukewarm soup, especially from an upscale restaurant! Secondly, the soup literally tasted like raw broccoli thrown into a blender (boyfriend agreed). In my opinion, they could have at least cooked the broccoli and then blend it - that would have given this dish many more points! It is the raw aftertaste that really threw this dish out of the window. As a person who usually finishes her food, I could not get myself to finish the broccoli soup - and mind you, the soup was cup-sized!


For our entree, I ordered the Smoked Pork. Prior to ordering, the waiter warned me about a "strong" taste/smell to this dish. Knowing that my taste buds are naturally inclined to stronger tastes, I told the waiter that it wouldn't be a problem. WRONG! I didn't know the definition of "strong taste" was equivalent to a smokey, urine-smelling aroma (I apologize for the explicit description). Moreover, the meat wasn't tender; and I wasn't impressed. On a brighter note, the mashed potatoes on the side was awesome! The potatoes tasted like it's been whipped 109834 times - very refined, buttery, and soft. Too bad the serving was so teensy-weensy (if you ever go, ask for more as they scoop the mashed potatoes right in front of you!) that I had to steal my boyfriend's portion as well. The steak that my bf ordered was made much better than my pork - the meat was tender and juicy; and it was nicely sauteed. I guess the meal wasn't a total failure after all.


For desserts, we were given the option of a cheese platter, à la carte desserts, or two choices from the dessert cart. The bf chose a strawberry dessert with ice-cream (I know, manly - huh?) Inside the tall, martini glass was freshly whipped cream, cake crumbs, and an ultra thin and crispy biscuit. The ice-cream was placed inside a half-cracked egg shaped bowl - super cute! As for me, I chose two desserts from the dessert cart, which had pretty decent selections, too. In the end, I picked the lemon tart (topped with gold flakes and a mini macaroon/raspberry) and a bowl of fruit. To end the meal, we ordered coffee and tea - with complimentary macaroons and sparkly golden sugar balls.

I wouldn't say the experience was a complete disaster, but it wasn't the best food either. The Joël Robuchon in Vegas has been getting raving reviews, but the branch in Hong Kong definitely does not live up to its hype. Perhaps it's because they specialize in their desserts. It's fair to give this restaurant another try since I've only experienced their lunch menu. I would come back here for their a la carte menu, which may be better than their set menus. Furthermore, I would order a full side dish of those delicious mashed potatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails