Monday, December 20, 2010

Soba-ya

Soba-ya
229 E 9th St
New York, NY 10003
(212) 533-6966
http://www.sobaya-nyc.com/

Came here originally for Soba-ya's handmade soba noodles, but ended up falling in love with their tuna tartar and mountain yam (with uni, wasabi, and shredded nori). Since it was a cold night, we decided to go for the Kamo Namban Soba: a hot dish that is topped with sautéed duck & green onion. The soba was only ok; and the duck meat was rather difficult to chew. I wasn't too impressed. I think the hot soup made the noodles softer, and I'd much prefer to have my soba al dente. I'd recommend ordering from the cold menu next time as that is what they are known for.
Our Tuna Tartar on the other hand, was great as it had two of my favorite ingredients sandwiched in between the fresh tuna: mountain yam and avocado! Not everyone enjoyed the pairing of the tuna tartar, but I personally liked how the three ingredients mushed together. It was flavorful, but not overpowering. Our other appetizer, Uni Tororo Sea Urchin & grated Mountain Yam was another light and flavorful dish. In Japanese cuisine, mountain yam is usually eaten raw and grated - the texture is sticky and slimy. Mountain yam is also considered to be one of the most important and commonly used Chinese herb and medicine repertoire. Although I am personally not a big fan of uni, I loved the taste of uni and mountain yam together. The strong taste of the uni was balanced by the lightness of the mountain yam - a perfect combo!
Since we had grabbed street food earlier, we didn't have enough stomach room for dessert. I completely regret this as I heard they had some pretty unique desserts available (including homemade ice-cream).

Overall: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails