Friday, December 17, 2010

Totto Ramen

Totto Ramen
366 W 52nd St
New York, NY 10019

My absolute favorite ramen eatery thus far! This place is well worth the long wait (yes, even in the frigid cold). I've been here three times already and I just wish I lived right next to Totto Ramen. If you're wondering, this place is owned by the same people at Yakitori Totto on Broadway and 55th. My cousin found this hidden eatery and I've been raving and telling everyone about it ever since. For one thing, their soup base is one of the best I've ever tasted and it's made with the perfect balance of saltiness and creaminess. The service here is also very quick and the staff are friendly and helpful. I love this place!

I would suggest anyone who hasn't been to Totto to order their Totto Chicken Paitan Ramen - the chicken based broth is delicious and flavorful. Their straight homemade noodles are cooked al dente style and topped with scallion, onion, char siu pork, and a nori (dried seaweed). I would encourage those who don't have a cholesterol problem to order an extra seasoned hardboiled egg to go with their bowl of ramen. Their Totto Spicy Ramen is also very good and not at all as spicy as it looks to be. If you are daring enough, you can try the Totto Extreme Spicy Ramen which is 4X spicier. I personally haven't had the guts to try it yet, but mainly because I don't want the spice to overpower the amazing broth! The Totto Miso Ramen is made with Koji Miso and ground pork. The noodles are not straight, but wavy and topped with a seasoned hardboiled egg, scallion, onion, bean sprouts, and their famous char siu pork.

On the other hand, if you are a vegetarian or on a light diet this may just be the perfect spot for you, too. Totto serves two vegetarian ramen (one spicy and non-spicy): with mushroom, avocado, and seasonal vegetables. I've never tried them, but I've heard great reviews!

For the sides, I would highly recommend their Broiled Char Siu Pork - their char siu pork are to die for and seriously melts in your mouth like warm chocolate candy. If you sit on the stools/bar table area, you'll see that the cook uses a mini blow torch on each pork belly before serving. The pork is served with the right amount of residual fat, with juices dripping out from the sides..delicious! I wasn't a huge fan of their Shinachiku Mayo (bamboo shoots and yuzu citrus mayo) - too plain and nothing out of the ordinary. Considering that they charge $4 for the dish, I wouldn't recommend it.


The prices here are reasonable: $10 - $11 for a bowl of ramen (much better than paying a premium at Ippudo). In addition, everything served at Totto is MSG free. However, like any other small ramen shops, this place accepts cash only and only seats approximately 20 people. It is recommended to bring a small party, otherwise you'd be waiting forever!
Overall: 4.5/5

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails