Sunday, January 9, 2011

Fast Food @ Pommes Frites

Pommes Frites
123 2nd Ave
New York, NY 10003

One of the many guilty pleasure foods located on St. Marks -- fries -- not just any type of fries, but authentic Belgian fries! Pommes Frites is a frequent craving that I often share with my friends. The hole in the wall is open until 1:00am on weekdays and 3:30am on weekends - not too difficult to spot when you see a bunch of college kids crowding infront of the shop. There aren't many seats available on the inside, but the cramped atmosphere makes it intimate and cozy.

The portions of the fries come in three sizes: regular, large, or double. Personally, I think the regular size is good enough for two people to share (unless you are replacing your dinner with these fries, I don't think the large or double is necessary). The sauce menu is quite extensive, and what makes this place so special is that you can dip the fries in honey mustard mayo, curry sauce, peanut satay sauce... My personal favorites are: mango chutney and pomegranate teriyaki mayo. My partner really loves their wasabi mayo, but I thought it was okay..not highly recommended. Either way, it's going to take me a numerous trips for me to try all of the sauces.

The last time I visited the shop, they had their special truffle fries, which I tried - not impressed. I couldn't tell the difference between these "special" fries apart from the regular. Overall, the fries are hot and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. The secret? They are fried twice - they are cooked first and then fried to a golden crisp the second time. Yummmm...

*Sauces are $1.00 each; and 3 sauces gives you a better deal of $2.50

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails