Sunday, May 2, 2010

Seafood done RIGHT!

155 W 51st St
The Equitable Building
New York, NY 10019
Went to Le Bernadin a few months back and left fully content and happy. Being probably the only asian on earth who doesn't go all gaga over her seafood...I was truly satisfied with our meal. The place was not at all what I had expected. The restaurant didn't have an uptight feel, everyone was very casual (in terms of their conversations) I didn't feel like I had to pull a "I am Miss Plastic" kind of attitude; and the dining experience was fantastic. Which other restaurant offers six selections of complimentary bread?? There were a lot of "asian inspired" dishes which I thought were interesting. My favorite dishes were the Tuna w/ foie gras, the Surf and Turf, and the Pear cinnamon caramel parfait - a job well done, Chef Ripert!

Below is Le Bernadin's Tasting Menu:
An interesting dish to start off with -- truffle foam w/ an edible leaf on top.
This one was my favorite -- raw tuna pounded to a thin layer atop a crunchy baguette with creamy foie gras w/ shaved chives and extra virgin olive oil. DELISH!
Charred Octopus w/ Fermented Black Bean and Pear Sauce Vierge; Ink - Miso Vinaigrette; and Purple Basil. When I saw this dish, my teeth were totally prepared for some grinding action. I never liked octopus and its rubbery texture, but of course, I was wrong..at Le Bernadin, the Octopus served are soft and flavorful...even old people can eat this!
 Our next dish was the Nori Crusted Skate w/ Poached Oysters; Braised Winter Lettuce; and Ponzu Vinaigrette. Maybe it's the nori and the flavor of the fish, but this dish really reminded me of my grandma's fish..I guess my grandma can open a michelin restaurant too :)

Baked Wild Striped Bass; Corn "Cannelloni"; Light Perigord Sauce. Nothing too special about this dish. (Except for the truffles on top, hehe)
The Surf and Turf: Escolar and Seared Kobe Beef; Sea Bean Salad and Eggplant Fries; Mr. Kaufman's Pesto and Anchovy Sauce...When I saw the meat on this dish, I immediately knew I could never become a vegeterian - I am a faithful carnivore! The Kobe beef was so tender and juicy, I wanted to trade my seafood for more beef!

Mascarpone Cream in a Crisp Coffee Shell, Almond - Cocoa Pain de Genes. I was slightly disappointed at the flavor of this dessert. The dessert was tastless, and poorly presented. Just, bleh.
This last dish surely put the previous dessert dish to shame - Cinnamon Caramel Parfait, Liquid Pear, Smoked Sea Salt, and Fromage Blanc Sorbet. Can I just say that one CAN play with her food? Andy and I had the funnest time juggling the liquid pear in our mouths and then popping them. It's the most entertaining thing..ever!


Overall: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. so much fun! i loved the pear balls and the tuna toooo~~~~!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails