Tuesday, December 29, 2009

"I want my oysters and pearls!!"

Per Se
10 Columbus Circle
New York, NY 10019
(212) 823-9335

My very first visit to a Thomas Keller restaurant and I must say..I was very, very impressed. Thanks to my generous bf, I was able to "taste a piece of heaven"...seriously. I don't know how else to word it. I'm not an eloquent writer so saying that my dinner meal was "sooooo good" would be an understatement.

I visited Per Se 3 months ago, and even still, I can remember each dish vividly. The service was excellent..which made me wonder if I was in another city; the staff were way too nice to be new yorkers! We sat in the bar area while we waited for our table to be ready, and I ordered the delicious and refreshing punch rum while Andy chose his usual red wine..(don't remember the kind). That same night was also the day Per Se re-earned their 3 Michelin Stars...so they celebrated by offering everyone champaign!

The restaurant itself is small and cozy, and fits approximately ten tables in total (which probably explains why people have to make reservations 3 months in advance) I loved our table, which was big enough for five people and had a window view of Columbus Circle. I was taken by surprise when the waiter went overboard and gave my handbag a stool to "sit" on...how cute! We decided to go with the Chef's tasting menu which included 11 dishes + 3 side dishes. Each dish was not only dangerously tasty, but artfully plated as well - it was just. so. perfect. My favorite two courses of the meal were the "Oysters and Pearls" (The caviar was generous, and one of the first dishes presented to us- a wonderful way to formally begin the meal) and the "Terrine of Hudson Valley Moulard Dock Foie Gras" (ahh, I get hungry just thinking about them) In addition, I enjoyed the first appetizer: salmon cone w/ cream cheese (?) unsure exactly what it was but it was heavenly!! I don't think Andy and I talked at all during the entire meal. We were like a broken record that just kept repeating the words, "so good, soooo goooodddd..."

I also loved the fact that the waiters seemed to read my mind (kind of like a twilight thing! haha!) The waiters were genies in a lamp: my glass was always filled, my bread was always warm, and they were always at my disposal whenever I needed a picture.


By the 13th dish, I was so full that I wanted to change into a XXL jumpsuit and just lay ontop of all the food. I tried to take a bite of every complimentary Per Se chocolate that the waiter offered us but my stomach was just too full to try every single one. Since I had classes the following day, we finished our entire meal in 2.5 hours (compared to the usual 4 hrs)...we really stuffed ourselves that night...but we left satisfied :) At the end of the night, we also received a bag of Per Se sweets which included a variety of chocolate covered cookies. I love goodie bags! Overall, Per Se definitely deserves its 3 Michelin stars. Although extremely pricey, I hope to go back again to try their donut and coffee (time to bribe the bf!)

Overall: 5/5 (the ultimate "FOODGASM"!!)

2 comments:

  1. The food looks and sounds yummy, I would love to try this restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you need to add a few more dollar signs! haha j/k! lets go again. i want to try their doughnut too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails