Friday, January 8, 2010

Dim Sum

Empire Garden Restaurant
690-698 Washington St
Boston, MA 02111
(614) 482-8898

According to Wikipedia:
"Dim sum is the name for a southern Chinese cuisine which involves a wide range of light dishes served alongside Chinese tea. Yum cha (literally "drinking tea") is the term used to describe the entire dining experience, especially in contemporary Cantonese.It is usually served in the mornings until noon time at Chinese restaurants and at specialty dim sum eateries where typical dishes are available throughout the day."

Dim sum consists of a variety of mouth watering savory and sweet dishes such as fried and steamed dumplings, shrimp balls, fried noodles, and Chinese pastries. Dim sum dishes come in small portions; which allow greedy eaters (like me!) to try a variety of dishes without feeling like a complete pig :P


I wouldn't label Empire Garden as the BEST dim sum restaurant in Boston, but their dim sum selection is pretty comprehensive and not to mention, inexpensive! In general, I know I can always count on their pork buns, chicken feet, and steamed dumplings. Located in an old opera house, the place is filled with people, people, and more people(Think Chinese Idiom: "People Mountain, People Sea"), but I never had to wait in line for more than 5 minutes...so the table turnover is pretty quick. The key: get a friend who knows cantonese to reserve a seat.

For parties of 2-6, the bill usually averages between $8-$15 per person. I've never had dinner here so I can't comment on the food however, I've heard some pretty nasty stuff about it (greasy and high in MSG)...I think that's why most people stick to the dim sum instead : )

Overall: 3/5



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails